Thursday, July 10, 2008

First Trial of Marrying a PRC lady for a Singapore Guy.

More and more Singaporean guys are marrying foreign ladies. Old news..Newspapers has articles reported about Vietnam, PRC bride agencies. Not shortly after,Newspapers reported that many PRC girls dubbed as "Little Dragon Ladies" marry local SG guys for SG PR status and not for Love.

Forums, news, coffee Shops discussions has been stating while local guys who find foreign wives are normally inferior in some way.
1. Inferior complexity: cannot stand wife earning a higher salary or with better qualification.
2. Social inadequacies: not being able to be socially intriguing enough to court any female locals.

The above "Complexity and Social Inadequacies" theory is flawed. Let me illustrate why. Firstly there are increasing no. of white collar sg males marrying foreign wife. Due to Globalisation, in many developed countries, chances of meeting foreigners @ work or in schools has increased over the years. Therefore there is higher chances of love blossoming.

In My university in Australia, in fact more than half of the Singaporeans i know of(including myself) had a foreigner lady as our other half. While a proportion of sg females bitching lack of good singapore guys, singapore guys are more wussy compared to the Ang mohs, less handsome than the koreans/japanese. A fact slap hard on their face: Singaporean guys are far more appreciated by foreign ladies.

Some statistics:
15 out of 29 girlfriends/wives(inclusive of me) of Singaporean Guys (uni grads) are foreigners.
Breakdown by countries (out of 15): China-5, Japan-3,Taiwan-2, Korean-2,UAE-1, Aus-1, HK-1
Some of my japanese female friends commented: "SG guys are more mature and gentlemanly than JP guys." Those comments even though make me feel flattered as a Singporean guys, I feel that those are very general views of Japanese Girls.
My Fiancee now has absolutely no need to be a Singaporean and could have stay on to be Aussie. She do not depend on me financially and has obtained Her Bachelors. So are the rest of the PRC ladies of my friends. They are of an inferior than SG girls?

Reasons for bringing up the old issue:
I am going to marry a wonderful PRC lady who i met during my studies in Australia.
Recently, I got church aunties telling me this: "Ah boy ya, U are a Master holder and a white collar professional. Why not find a local girl or some girl in church?"

One of my friend's mother told me: "Be careful, your PRC wife-to-be might be after your money and SG PR status. Only guys who are blue collared ones, or socially Cannot-Make-It ones then find China girls or order brides. Y u like that?" The last question lead me to think if I am some Sg elite cheapening myself by getting a PRC wife.

Being very polite to elders or showing my friends' face, I did not tell them off in a face. But that i find is indeed revolting and discriminating against PRC girls. I got a few friends tell me it is better to get a local girls, i do understand their point of views as in marriage procedures, registration for HDB flats and getting bank loans will be much easier.

I read one blog bitching about Sg guys and ask them go marry PRC brides or order Vietnam bride (taken down quite some time ago). Not being wussy, but i never like to post back scolding people "@#$@$%@#%" which i find pointless to be angry with people who anyhow insult others without brains. I am a high EQ guy to start with. (I normally ignore low EQ folks).

Man, I am getting worried for my wife-to-be and must prepare her for this type of insults which i predicted she will encounter one day. The last pondering thought I have is "Am telling her our SG society is ungraceful, proud and insensitive ?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sir,

I would like to reply to you comment as above. I guess there is a significant stereo-typing from SG to marrying foreign women. However i feel that this has strictly been confined to PRC ladies for some reason.

Having lived over seas for most part of my life, i feel there is not such thing as a perfect culture. Even if you look within Singapore itself, there are so many variations in women. same goes for PRC women.

This is a highly subjective topic and i personally think that it is wrong for people to be so judgemental particularly when they have not met her in person. I think the best person to make this decision is yourself.

Some food notes/ references on the statistics would be appreciated.